Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Review: Logitech Wireless Combo MK260


I recently purchased  the Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 for about P1,270 from PCX. As its name implies, it is a wireless keyboard-and-mouse set.

The keyboard is comfortable but it doesn't look and feel much different from a generic keyboard except that it has 8 "hot keys"  in the upper left option which provides for volume control and a power switch, among others. Thus far, the only "hot keys" which have worked for me are the mute button and the calculator button. The other keys don't seem to work as advertised. I like the wireless mouse, it is way better than the models that CDR-King sells.

Installation was a breeze, and it worked fine with Windows 7.  The USB receiver has good range - I'm using the MK260 on my desktop and I placed the receiver at the back of the CPU. Both the wireless keyboard and mouse easily detected the signal from the USB receiver.

Apart from my gripes with the "hot keys" which I rarely use anyway, I only have one problem with this product : it has no Caps Lock and Num Lock LED indicator. This, for me, is a significant omission in this age of case-sensitive passwords. If the generic keyboards have this LED at 1/5 the price of the Logitech (free, if you have a PC assembled), I'm not quite sure why Logitech would leave out this feature.

To give you an idea of the stuff which comes with the box of the MK260, see TechTigerTV's unboxing video which I found in YouTube:



Note: Windows 7 can help you out if you have one of those keyboards, like the MK260, which doesn't have a LED indicator. Go to Control Panel, click Ease of Access and choose "Change how your keyboard works." Check the box for "Turn on Toggle Keys" to hear a tone when you press Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock.

No comments: