Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Music to my ears

It started with Diana Krall and the Bee Gees.

January, 2002.

I decided to buy a DVD player. After checking with the helpful folks at pinoydvd, I was introduced to a world where watching a movie at home was not just about turning on your tv, playing a disc and plopping down on your sofa with chips and soda within easy reach. It was all about experiencing the movie - seeing the images in the manner which the filmmakers envisioned, and being enveloped by the sound of it.

I scoured the metro for shops selling home theater systems and learned about speakers and amplifiers and wires. I also met a kind shopowner who loved Diana Krall's version of "Let's Face the Music and Dance" , and played it over and over, using different speakers and amps, just to demonstrate the nuances of each equipment. I'd never heard of Diana Krall before, and after one or two sessions with him, I went to a music store, got the album and played it on my cd player. It wasn't the same. I went back to his shop, and this time, he asked me to watch the dvd of the Bee Gees - One Night Only. I sat on his sofa, dreading the thought of listening to Night Fever and Tragedy, and found, to my chagrin, that I was tapping my feet in rhythm.

I ended up getting a bigger TV, an amplifier and front and center speakers. On my wish list: a subwoofer and two rear speakers for 5.1 effect, and maybe a turntable.

Fast forward to April, 2004.

"I am not changing anything in this car. I can't afford it." I say this to myself over and over again. But I couldn't bear to play Diana Krall's album in my car knowing that it sounded so much better when I played it at home. A month later, I was frequenting the forums in www.tsikot.com and www.kotseaudioclub.com trying to learn about car audio systems. Four months later, I had new speakers, an amp and a subwoofer installed.

Up to now, I can still remember the feeling when I drove my car home after the speakers, amp and sub were installed. I played "Let's Face the Music and Dance", turned the volume knob up, and broke into a smile. I changed CDs, drove around some more, and still couldn't get the smile off my face. I was so happy, I didn't want to stop driving. When exhaustion hit me, I drove home, parked my car, killed the engine, and listened to my CDs again, still with a stupid grin on my face.

A year later.

I still don't have the subwoofer, rear speakers and turntable for my home theater system. Doubt if I'll get around to buying any of them, actually, except maybe the turntable. I'm happy with how everything sounds right now at home.

I just changed the head unit in my car. I got a newer model which plays MP3s and has a screensaver. I still love to drive, especially at night when it's quieter, and the pace, more relaxed. Just me and the music.

No comments: